Tuesday, December 8, 2009

She told me this would happen......

My best friend...is all knowing and all seeing...at least, that is the way I see it.  I cannot begin to tell you the number of ledges she has talked me off of. Nor can i tell you the number of relationships, family or otherwise, that she has saved. She has stood by me through the most ridiculous situations, times when she knew i was fucking up, but chose to let me make my own mistakes.  We've come a long way, the two of us.  We are brutally honest with one another when it's called for.  And when I realized that separation from my husband was a possibility, she did everything she could to make me work it out.  And not because she wanted me to be miserable or she just didn't want to deal...and not because she is some religious freak who doesn't believe in divorce.  She knew that the day would come when i would look back and wonder if i had jumped ship too early.  And she wanted me to know beyond any fathomable doubt, that i had done anything and everything in my power to make that marriage work.  Because she knows we both have enough regrets and she didn't want one more lingering overhead. I followed her advice, I read her suggested books. I searched my heart and soul and did everything she asked. And you know what? No...Regret.  Sure I miss the man I married, but that man has been gone for YEARS. And I sometimes miss having someone to talk to or cook with or lay next to at night.  But with freedom comes those little adjustments. And I think I've adjusted just fine. Which brings me to her next premonition which has come to fruition. (I like that, even if it's not exactly plausible in that particular sentence).  She told me...there would come a day....when i forgot all about the mens...and started concentrating on myself, that I would have so many I wouldn't be able to keep them straight.  Given my current physical makeup (chunky to say the least) i doubted her on more than one occasion. But dammit if she wasn't right.  They are coming out of the woodwork and proving this doubting Thomas WRONG.  Old boyfriends, new acquaintances, friends of friends.... they're everywhere. And thanks to the advent of Facebook, they're all even more accessible.  However, also more easily confused.  When you have three chats with three men pulled up, you'd better know who you're talking to and what you've typed before you hit that send button!  My bff jokingly says the best way to get over one man is to get under another.  Sure, it's not a permanent fix, merely a bandaid.  And i do not recommend just anyone getting under just any guy.  But the one guy i'm under is taking the pressure off the divorce and that's good. Said divorce is still pending and i'm just going with the flow for now. Sure the shit is gonna hit the fan eventually, in more ways than one, but when it does, there will be another pick me up, just like she says there will be.  Whether it is a man, a friend, a dog or cat, a good book, a movie or utter and complete silence, at some point, after you move out, and you're trying to move on, you will find serenity where you least expect it. I know this...because she told me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment