Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Fucking Valentines Day.....

My boyfriend doesn't celebrate Valentines Day. Period. No questions, no discussions, no coercion. He just... doesn't. And he told me this up front. I admit for a while I was really thinking he was just fucking with me, and that he would at least acknowledge it. The closer it got to today, the more aware I became that he was not kidding. Not joking. Not even the least bit. And at some point along the way, I was mad. I was thinking " I don't give a rat's ass if you celebrate Valentines Day.... I DO!!!!" .... and then.... something changed. And I can't pin point it.  And I'm not making excuses for him, because anyone who knows me knows that if it was really important, I'd say "Gotdammit, i don't give a fuck if you celebrate it or not. Buy my gotdamned candy and flowers and have them at my house on Sunday with a fucking smile on your face!!!!" .... But his argument, which I didn't buy at first, was " i don't need someone to tell me when to buy you flowers and candy. I do that because it's saturday. Or tuesday. Or when the fuck ever."  Sounds like a true man excuse. But then the most amazing thing happened..... his ACTIONS.... matched his words.... And way before Valentines Day... and right before Valentines Day... flowers...because it's Saturday. Or because he was thinking about me . . . .(yuck, gross, bleck, i know, i know....) But the point is.... I was married to STBX for NINE years.... and he did Valentines Day right... ONCE. I don't even think we were married yet. It was the Valentines Day we were dating and he sent me a dozen roses. . . . Yes, several Valentines Days I got cards, that were purchased solely out of obligation (and i know this because they were purchased ON valentines day when everything had already been picked over. . ..and my Valentines Day card said something like "you're a swell person. Happy Valentines Day." Person was scratched out and WIFE 'appropriately' substituted.  SO waiting til the last minute on an obligatory holiday is way worse, to me, than not celebrating it at all. I was talking to my best friend earlier at which point I told her i was boycotting facebook all day. If i see one more status that says "Happy Valentines Day to the love of my life and the man of my dreams" blah blah blah. .. . . As she said, it should have said "Happy Val Day to the man who cheats on me and belittles me in front of our beautiful children."  Last night we cooked dinner, watched a movie and had really great sex. This morning, we had really great sex, cooked breakfast together and now we're watching a movie.  He knows it's Valentines Day. He's being really sweet.  So i don't have roses today. But in a week or two, when all these other bitches' roses have wilted and are in the incinerator, i'll have nice fresh ones on my table....or desk.... just because it's Saturday. And maybe because for once, someone thinks that I deserve flowers all year round, not just on February 14. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment